Butterfly Buns with Vanilla Buttercream



As I have previously mentioned I love cupcakes or buns, as they were more commonly known when I was a girl! No matter what the occasion buns always make a very suitable treat! I always use my Mother's flawless basic Bun Recipe and then the options are endless as to how I top them. One that is a big favourite in our house is my Creamy Lemon Topping which can then be decorated with sprinkles, little sweets or pretty edible flowers. 






This vanilla buttercream is so versatile as a bun topping. In this recipe I am pairing it with some of my home made Strawberry Jam to make adorable Butterfly Buns. 


Butterfly Buns with Vanilla Buttercream

Ingredients
125g softened butter
250g icing sugar, sieved
1 teasp Vanilla Extract
20mls milk


To decorate
Strawberry Jam
Icing sugar, for dusting 

Method
1. Place the softened butter in a large bowl and blend well.
2. Slowly add the icing sugar and continue to blend. Add the vanilla extract and milk, blend until pale and fluffy.
3. Put in the fridge for 15mins.

4Slice the tops off each bun and fill the cavities with a little buttercream and jam. Cut each sliced top in half and arrange on top of the filling to resemble butterfly wings. Dust lightly with icing sugar.


Photos & styling by Nessa Robins.

14 Comments:

Unknown said...

yummy a real family fav. I feel inspired to go and do some baking now! great photos too!

Arlene said...

Great photos, Nessa (I need a new camera!). The buns are so delightfully 'retro'. I remember having butterfly buns at birthday parties when I was growing up. I feel all nostaglic now.... :)

Nessa Robins said...

Thank you! We got a new camera it's a Canon 550d and I absolutely love it!!
I can really notice the difference in the photos - I take so many photos that it is a great investment!

MissCakeBaker said...

These too remind me of my childhood!

Nessa Robins said...

So true! They were always a special treat in our house also:)!

Anna's kitchen table said...

So sweet Nessa! :-))

Sheila Kiely said...

Very cute butterfly buns..

mammyskitchen said...

Those cakes look absolutely gorgeous. Fab pics too!

Zoe said...

Very gorgeous cupcakes. I love your presentation.

Nessa Robins said...

Thank you! These little cakes are certainly very photogenic:)

cocoa and coconut said...

Oh gosh! Your presentation is just so pretty! What a classic recipe you've presented. Thanks

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

These look delicious, they remind me of the stuffed cupcakes that my nana used to make when I was a child!

If I ever get to Ireland again I'll have to take a cooking lesson at your school! My husband's never been and he's entitled to be an Irish citizen (even though my maiden name is Irish and his isn't) but has never followed through with the paperwork! Ugh, men!

Have a wonderful week!

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks so much, Brittany!

Nessa Robins said...

Stuffed cupcakes sound good! You must get your other half to fill out those papers. There are so many beautiful foodie havens to visit in Ireland!