Back to School - Roasted Red Pepper Hummus & Crudités


Books are bought, bags are packed, uniforms are washed and for the first year ever we are actually organised and ready for the new school year. I think this mainly comes down to the fact that the children are older and now all are well able to label their own books and allocate their own uniforms. I feel like I'm approaching a new chapter in our lives, as we are completely finished with the baby stage. My little lady has her very first day of playschool tomorrow. I find this new phase a little bitter-sweet. I'll appreciate the few hours to myself, to properly concentrate on upcoming projects, however I will so miss my Millie's company when the house is otherwise quite. This is also Jack's final year in primary school. I find it sometimes difficult to face the realisation that my babies are getting so big, however I'm ever grateful that each of them have their health and as they grow older there are new and different things that we can enjoy together. 



Last weekend I was invited to give a 'back to school lunchbox tips' demo in Glenisk's pop-up store on Dawson Street. I included dishes that my children really do enjoy to find in their lunchbox. This hummus is a real favourite of theirs. If you weren't able to attend the demo, but would like a copy of the recipes I demonstrated, just pop me an email to NessasFamilyKitchen@gmail.com and I will forward you on a copy.



Roasted Red Pepper Hummus & Crudités
The main ingredients in hummus are chickpeas, which are a protein-rich food. Therefore this hummus makes for a very nutritious and filling lunchbox treat. The roasted red pepper, along with the sprinkling of a little sugar, adds a sweetness, which perfectly balances the bitter lemon. Some crudités made from carrots, cucumber, celery or radishes, sent in a little zip-lock bag, would work very nicely as an accompaniment. My boys also especially like a few breadsticks alongside their hummus. 

Ingredients
Hummus
I roasted red pepper, from a jar
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp Glenisk greek yoghurt
1 tsp sugar
50mls olive oil
Crudités
Carrot, cucumber and radishes, washed, peeled and cut into ready-to-eat slices

Method
1. Place all the ingredients for the hummus into a mini chopper or a food processor. Blitz until smooth.
2. To serve, place in a bowl or a transportable container and drizzle with a little extra olive oil & sprinkle over a dusting of smoked paprika. Serve alongside some crudités and breadsticks.


4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I love red pepper hummus and this looks great- such a good idea for lunchboxes, as well! Hope the transition into the new school year goes smoothly for everybody :)

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

We love hummus, all flavors! I haven't made any in a while, I'm going to have to make some soon!!! Homemade is so much better!!!

I was just wondering, how many days do your children have to go to school? In the U.S. public school students are mandated to go 180 days.

Your home will feel very different, you may not get as much done with all that peace and quiet! LOL

Please stop by for some "cucumber soup" when you have a moment!

Thanks so much!

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks Ruthy. So far so good! They're all still rather excited to be back at school and I love getting back into a routine.
Thank you, I will most certainly check out your cucumber soup. I'm almost certain that we also have 180 days of school; at least that seems to ring a bell!

Unknown said...

Thanks for this healthy recipes for kids. I'm sure they will love this.