Irish Potato Cakes


I think as a child, St. Patrick's Day was actually one of my favourite celebrations of the year. For the weeks preceding, many hours were spent making flags, banners, brooches and hats, all sporting green, white and gold. Of course, nowadays, all these can be bought for little or nothing, yet I feel for the children to experience the 'real' St. Patrick's Day a few homemade flags are completely necessary! The local parade was the highlight of the day where we got to stand at the side of the road for a couple of hours, mostly in the rain, waving frantically as neighbours passed by in their tractors and trucks. A couple of brass bands and some energetic Irish dancers would complete the lineup, and each year on the journey home we'd decide that the previous year's parade had actually been better. As simple as this day was, I have so many fond memories of St. Patrick's Day. I think the fact that it was a family day out really made the experience special and all the nicer.


 
Potato Cakes

Each year my Mother would serve a big fry up before we went to town, and my favourite part to this would be my mother's fluffy potato cakes. A big knob of butter placed on top before serving allowed the potato cake to don a silky buttery glaze. Only in recent years have I started to make potato cakes myself and the children love them. I have added some finely chopped scallions to my potato mix but if you prefer you can leave these out and make them plain or even add a handful of grated cheese. Enjoy!



Ingredients
450g (1lb) cooled mashed potatoes
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten
75g (3oz) plain flour
2 scallions, finely chopped
1 tbsp oil
Knob of butter

Method
  1. Place the mashed potato in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and add the egg. Stir in the flour and finely chopped scallions. Combine well to form a dough.
  2. Transfer the dough onto a floured work surface and lightly knead. Roll out the dough, about 3cm thick.
  3. Cut into circles using a pastry cutter making approximately 8 potato cakes.
  4. Place the oil into a pan and place over a medium heat. Add the potato cakes and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
  5. Serve hot with a knob of butter on top.


10 Comments:

Cynthia said...

Beautiful cakes, and I just happen to have some leftover mashed potatoes. I'm picturing a poached egg on top. Thank you for the lovely memory, as well.

Rita said...

I was thinking to cook crochette di patate (Italian potato cakes)but your recipe sound more healthy and delicious, so I will give it a try. Thanks Rita

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

OMG, these look delicious! I can't wait to make 'em! I can practically taste them too!

Clare said...

They look like lovely potato cakes! I tried to make my own recently but they didn't turn out very well. I'll try your version - maybe my lack of egg was the problem! Thanks Nessa!

Anonymous said...

Could these be frozen before frying? Wondering if I could make up a batch of them....

P.

Nessa Robins said...

Thank you Cynthia. A poached egg would be delicious on top!
Rita, Italian potato cakes sound quite good. I must check out a recipe for them. I hope you like these ones!
Thank for visiting Mary. I hope you enjoy them!
Yes Clare the egg binds everything really nicely together. I hope they turn out nice for you!
Paul, I've never actually frozen them before but I'd reckon that they'd be perfect. Just cook them on a gentle, low heat when you take them out of the freezer. Let me know how you get on!

Unknown said...

If you want to freeze, leave out the salt or they will become totally soggy after thawing them out. I'm looking for a garnish to go with "Rissoles" they're a Wexford potato cake with thyme inside, they're traditionally crumbled or Battered, any suggestions???

Nessa Robins said...

Hi Sean. I had thought that rissoles were similar to meatballs, but with added potato. I haven't heard of this version before, but it sounds delicious. I'd like a little garlic sauce as an accompaniment, however it may leave the dish somewhat heavy? Maybe a fresh salsa or chilli jam would balance the flavours better.

p33t said...

I'm going to cook them and have assumed the spring onions go in the mix at the beginning, as they are in the ingredients but not mentioned again?

Nessa Robins said...

Thanks for pointing that out. I've it amended now. Apologies.