Stuffing greatly benefits from cooking within a turkey or chicken, but the results can be almost as tasty when the stuffing is cooked in a greased casserole dish. Sage, date and pistachio is one of my favourite stuffing combinations; herby, sweet and crunchy. To make a plain herb stuffing simply omit the date and pistachios from the recipe and add an additional 2 tablespoons of fresh, finely chopped parsley, thyme or chives.
Sage, Date & Pistachio Stuffing
75g butter, plus a little for greasing
1 large onion, finely diced
225g white breadcrumbs
2 tbsp freshly chopped sage
8 dates, finely chopped
50g pistachio, shelled & roughly chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C /fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
- Melt the butter in a pan, and add the onions. Reduce the heat to low and cook for five minutes, until the onions are softened but not coloured.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl and add the cooked onions. Combine well and then add the sage, dates and pistachio.
- Mix well to combine and season to taste.
- Grease an oven- proof dish with a little butter and add the stuffing.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for approximately 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to get all the stuffing nice and crispy.